Sunday, June 16, 2019

Community

VGS gifted art students create Christmas cards

It’s that time of year again. Vienna Grade School gifted art students are continuing the tradition of creating beautiful and unique Christmas Cards.  The 7th and 8th graders’ hand-drawn images were scanned into the computer and printed, creating a finished product they should be proud of.  The cards are sold …

Read More »

Newly-elected officials take office

First Judicial Circuit Court Judge James Williamson, far right, congratulates recently-elected county officials after being sworn into office Monday morning. The swearing in ceremony was held at 9 a.m. in the courthouse annex in Vienna. County commissioner Ernie Henshaw, circuit clerk Ryan O’Neal, state’s attorney Tambra Cain and coroner David …

Read More »

Red Hat Society holds silent auction

Red Hat ladies from across the region gathered last week in Vienna to participate in a silent auction of Red Hat Society memorabilia. Hundreds of items, from the collection of the late Queen Mother Betsy Wright, were on the auction tables for the thirty plus attendees to bid on. Auction items included such things as hats, dolls, …

Read More »

DAR Chapter hosts Veterans’ Day program Monday

The Daniel P. Chapman Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution hosted their annual Veterans’ Day program Monday at the Vienna Library. The event was held in the library basement due to the cold temperatures that day. Over 100 people attended to show their support to all branch of …

Read More »

O’Neal, Cain to take office Dec. 1

With 100-percent of Johnson County precincts reporting before 9 p.m. Tuesday night, local general election unofficial results unseated States Attorney Tricia Shelton and pushed through Ryan O’Neal as Circuit Clerk. Turnout for Johnson County’s 17 precincts was a few points behind its last general elections with 70.35-percent of its 8,172 …

Read More »

I-Cash event held in Vienna

Johnson County residents are responsible for $277,738 in unclaimed property being held by the Illinois State Treasurer’s office and they want to give it back. Illinois State Treasurer Dan Rutherford was in Vienna Tuesday morning promoting an I-Cash event in which residents of Johnson County could have the Treasurer’s records …

Read More »

Johnson County readies for general election Tuesday, Nov. 6

As Johnson County enters its last week before joining the nation in the 2012 general elections, local officials say they are prepared for the more than 75-percent of registered voters to cast their ballots come Nov. 6. More than 850 Johnson County voters took to the polls by Tuesday, Oct. …

Read More »

Reevesville News

By Lee Roy Stafford Hi everybody on a nice Sunday morning here in Reevesville after a beautiful Saturday. The leaves are falling so most of us here are raking or mulching leaves. I have another great-grandson Levi Ryan Murrie weighing 7 pounds, 3 ounces and 19 inches long. The proud …

Read More »

Buncombe News

By Dolly Hopkins Hello everyone. We are having the best weather ever, here in Southern Illinois. The trees are just bursting with colors. I love when I am driving and the leaves are falling like snow. In my humble opinion, I think our life stages are very much like nature …

Read More »

Narrowband upgrades now complete

Johnson County 911 coordinator sent a text Friday evening announcing, “Narrowbanding is complete, normal radio operation has resumed. All Johnson Co frequencies are now narrowband.” And with that text more than a year of planning came to fruition as the municipal, police and emergency radios of Johnson County completed an …

Read More »