Friday, March 29, 2024

Community

Fall Festival Updated Schedule of Events

The Johnson County Chamber of Commerce annual Fall Festival will be held Thursday, Friday and Saturday, October 3-5, at the city park in Vienna. The annual Vienna Car Show, sponsored by the City of Vienna, will be held Sunday, Oct. 6, to complete the fun-filled weekend of activities at the …

Read More »

Students receive lesson on hand washing

Tiffney Faulkner, right, Illinois Nutrition Education Program (INEP) community worker for the University of Illinois Extension office, visited Vienna Grade School to discuss with kindergarten through second graders the importance of washing their hands. Faulkner met with each class individually Tuesday afternoon, demonstrating the proper way to wash and remove germs from their hands. Students were able to …

Read More »

Ohio River Scenic Byway offers Ambassador Training

The Board of Directors of the Ohio River (National) Scenic Byway (ORSB) in Illinois is offering hospitality training to area businesses and to the general public.  The ORSB Board has established an Ambassador Program and encourages anyone interested in helping spread the word about the beautiful scenic route to attend …

Read More »

Scouts conduct popcorn sales

Cub Scouts and Boy Scouts across the region are conducting Popcorn Sales through October 19. Cub Scout Pack 41 of Vienna will be hold a Show-N-Sell at the Vienna Cheer’s on September 28 and Roc One Stop at the 4-way stop intersection October 19. Both sales will be held from …

Read More »

JCGHS meets in Vienna Fraternal Cemetery

By Dixie Terry After a summer recess, the Johnson County Genealogical and Historical Society came together for their beginning of a new season on Sunday, September 15.  The gathering was quite a contrast to the usual meeting in the community room of the Vienna Carnegie Library. The members and guests …

Read More »

As The Old Saying Goes

The American road trip is becoming a thing of the past.  Many Americans choose instead to fly.  Having done both, I prefer the road.  No security check points, pack what I want how I want, and most importantly composing this as we travel Kansas I-70; one of my dogs is …

Read More »

VHS FFA competes and places in contests

By McKenzie Mattox The Vienna FFA went to Massac County on September 12th to compete in the annual Section 25 Land Use and Tractor Driving CDE. Vienna’s varsity team placed 5th, with two members placing in the top ten individually. The varsity team consisted of Seniors Allison Browning, McKenzie …

Read More »

As The Old Saying Goes

I hope you, the reader, were able to read this column last week as I introduced you to ten year old Harmony “Bean” Womack, a 5th grader at Cypress Elementary. To say that Bean loves animals is an understatement. This week I pick up where we left off. Bean and …

Read More »

Art in the park success despite a brief windstorm

The eleventh annual Art in the Park, presented by the Home and Community Education (HCE) of U of I Extension in Vienna, was held Saturday, Sept. 14, at the Vienna City Park with a large attendance. Cara Webb, coordinator of the event, said the attendance was far larger than previous …

Read More »

Community Blood Drive

The Vienna community blood drive was held September 16 with 58 donors presenting and 58 units of blood collected. Four of those were first time donors. Volunteers included Violet Weise, Harry Weise, Hattie Trover, Sharon Farris, Barb Jones, Terry Choate, Barb Jeffress, Cara Webb, Irene Webb, Imogene Bradshaw, Karen Faulkner, …

Read More »