Friday, March 29, 2024

Community

SIUC archeological dig at Bridges Store

A team of students from the SIU-C Archeological Investigations was doing research during late July and early August at the historic Bridges Store/Tavern in Johnson County. The former store/tavern is located inside a 1940s-era barn on the farm of Lisa and Steve Thompson.  The location is west of West Vienna, …

Read More »

GRAND CHAIN – A small town refuses to fade into history

By Ila Ulrich, former editor of the Cairo Citizen Grand Chain, Illinois is a small town that at one time boasted restaurants; a movie theater; at least three grocery stores; a farm implement dealership; a train depot; a jail house; taverns; several denominations of Christian churches, an elementary and high …

Read More »

Local farm receives state designation

The Illinois Department of Agriculture recently designated the farm owned by Ronald S. (Ronnie) Taylor and Angela Taylor Baird (daughter), near Vienna as a Centennial Farm. To qualify as a Centennial Farm, a straight or collateral line of descendants must own the agricultural property for at least 100 years. The …

Read More »

As The Old Saying Goes

A few weeks ago I had the honor of having met Johnson County’s oldest citizen, 105 year old Ann Peckinpaugh. As I drove to meet her that morning, the thought struck that in time I’d like to interview and write about one of Johnson County’s youngest. As I began my …

Read More »

Blood drive set in Vienna

A Vienna Community Blood Drive is scheduled for Monday, Sept. 16, from noon until 6:00 p.m. at Fellowship Baptist Church.   Summer vacations are over and hopefully readers will take time to come out and donate blood. Volunteers will be serving all the usual goodies furnished by the Red Cross …

Read More »

Masonic Lodge and Eastern Star to host fish fry

Vienna Masonic Lodge No. 150 and Egyptian Chapter No. 30 O.E.S. will be hosting an all-you-can-eat fish fry on Sunday, Sept. 22, 2013. Serving will be from 11 a.m. till 2 p.m. (or until we run out of fish) at the lodge hall located at 1615 Old Route 146 Loop, …

Read More »

Junque Jamboree big success in Vienna

Hats off to Ginger Endrizzi, owner of Vienna Town Square Mall, and to the other Vienna antique dealers on a successful first-ever Johnson County Junque Jamboree held today, September 7th, on the Vienna Square! Approximately 75 vendors and hundreds of shoppers filled streets around the Johnson County Courthouse. Musical entertainment …

Read More »

No Clucking Matter; Local Lick Creek Woman Relishes Life As Chicken Whisperer

By Samantha Healey Sue Buchta possesses a gift that most chicken owners can only dream of. Referred to as the “chicken whisperer” by her husband, Jim, Sue has the ability to identify the wants and needs of her tiny-feathered family. “She can tell what’s going on with each one of …

Read More »

Cagle’s Tire & Wheel closes doors

Bill and Sue Cagle, owners of Cagle’s Tire & Wheel, Towing & Recovery in Vienna recently announced they will be retiring next month. They will hold an absolute auction September 10 to sell everything at the store. The Cagles opened the business here in 1998. Bill has been in …

Read More »

As the Old Saying Goes

By Myra Wood Bennett There are several of us who write for The Vienna Times. We all more than likely have our own way of how we approach our work. There is probably an assumption by us as well as readers that most if not all of us use a …

Read More »