Friday, March 29, 2024

Community

A splendid convention in Vienna

By Toby Hightower I have always been a devotee of the ideals of the ACHA. But, I have never joined the organization. You could come to an ACHA meeting in bib overalls or wearing an expensive suit, and you can be a PhD or just a farm hand and you …

Read More »

As the Old Saying Goes

Ever since childhood I have had an overwhelming need for things to be fair, for people to be nice, and for things to be balanced in the sense that no one should benefit more so than anyone else, and especially, not at someone else’s expense.  Adults would pat me on …

Read More »

Local sewing club gives to Vets

A local sewing club, Hangin by a Thread, met Monday at Countryside Christian Church to present twelve hand made quilts to veterans at the Marion VA Hospital. The quilts are the handy works of the 14-member group comprised of ladies from across Johnson County. The ladies meet weekly at various …

Read More »

Masonic Lodge, Eastern Star to hold chicken & dumpling dinner

Vienna Masonic Lodge # 150 AF&AM and the Egyptian Chapter # 30 Order of the Eastern Star, will conduct a chicken & dumpling fundraiser on Sunday, October 27, 2013, at the Masonic temple on Old Route 146 Loop near Vienna.  The event will be held from 11 a.m. – 2 …

Read More »

Fall Festival successful despite stormy weather

The threat of thunderstorms last weekend did not keep the young and young-at-heart from participating in the three-day Johnson County Fall Festival held Thursday through Saturday in Vienna. With the exceptions of a brief shower Saturday morning during the parade and flash flooding Saturday evening that dropped more than three …

Read More »

Initial report of armed man at Ferne Clyffe proves false

Johnson County residents became well aware of an incident that occurred at Ferne Clyffe State Park nearly 20 hours before Illinois State Police would confirm that an ongoing investigation was underway. It was believed that an armed man was responsible for the abduction of a woman at gunpoint and was …

Read More »

Join the fun Saturday in Vienna

The Johnson County Fall Festival concludes Saturday in Vienna. Join in on the fun. The Fall Festival parade will be held Saturday morning at 10:00 a.m., followed by games, live entertainment, carnival and helicopter rides. It’s happening at the Vienna City Park all day long.  

Read More »

I’ve Never Been This Age Before

By Rosemary O’Keefe Do you ever take an inventory of your daily or weekly experiences? I enjoy reviewing my time past every once in awhile. Probably find it interesting because I have the time to reflect and have fewer people in my life. Within the past week I have experienced …

Read More »

Help support Johnson Co. Clever Clovers 4-H Club

Next week, October 6-12 is National 4-H Week and Johnson County 4-H’ers will recognize it with several activities. During the month of October stop by Cheers in Vienna and fuel up on pumps #7 and #8 to help the Clever Clovers 4-H Club earn a percentage of the sales. While fueling, also check out the club’s …

Read More »

Johnson County Sheriff’s Department searches for escapee

The Johnson County Sheriff’s Department is searching for a man that escaped from custody this morning. A 20-year old Hispanic man, Juan Diego, escaped police custody at around 2:00 a.m. Sunday, according to reports. Diego was last seen wearing a royal blue shirt and blue jean shorts. Diego is reported to …

Read More »